Final Candidates list published, no Carlsen
Mark Crowther - Thursday 23rd December 2010
FIDE have announced their final list of Candidates for Kazan in 2011. All the players had to sign their contracts by December 22nd. As expected Magnus Carlsen isn't on the list following an announcement by him earlier in the year that he was unhappy with the cycle.
The full list is:
1. Veselin Topalov (Bulgaria, runner up of the previous World Championship)
2. Vladimir Kramnik (Russia, qualified by rating)
3. Levon Aronian (Armenia, winner of the FIDE Grand-Prix 2008-2009)
4. Boris Gelfand (Israel, winner of the FIDE World Cup 2009)
5. Shakhriyar Mamedyarov (Azerbaijan, wild card)
6. Alexander Grischuk (Russia, qualification from the FIDE Grand-Prix)
7. Teimour Radjabov (Azerbaijan, qualification from the FIDE Grand-Prix)
8. Gata Kamsky (USA, runner up of the Challengers Match 2009).